Re: B757. Maximum seating?

From:         ability@zetnet.co.uk (Joe Curry)
Date:         10 Jun 96 12:22:24

In message <airliners.1996.877@ohare.Chicago.COM>
        kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes: In reply to this:

> >It has surprised a lot of readers in the various aviation newsgroups
> >that the B757 on charter flights from the UK are configured for 235
> >pax.

> Boeing literature shows a maximum of 231 seats for the 757-200, with
> 28-/29-/30-inch seat pitch, but Britannia is indeed listed as packing
> 235 seats into a 757-200.

Is this practice blessed by Civil Aviation Safety bodies? Would they
get away with this in the USA?

> The Boeing count is with the four main
> doors per side; with three main doors and two overwing exits per side,
> and omitting the "window" seats at one exit row, you'd end up with the
> 235 count.  Pretty brutal if you ask me!

I can vouch for that.!!!!

> >Are BY alone in this sardine tin config? is it commom elsewhere?

> I'm sure there are other examples, but they're not common.  I figured
> the Birgenair 757 which crashed earlier this year would be a likely
> candidate, but it only had 216 seats.  The Chinese ones seemed like a
> sure bet, but they all have a mere 200 seats -- including either 8 or
> 12 spend on the decadent indulgence of a first class section, much to
> my surprise!  Condor (a German charter operated) has either 207 or 210
> on their 757s.  Canada 3000 came close, with 233 seats on one of their
> 757s.  (The others have only 228.)

This might come as a surprise to this NG but BY actually fly long
haul with this 235 config. I was in a row with a partition at the
back and the seat
remained upright through the entire 4 1/2 hour flight.

> The only other examples of such sardine configurations were all in the
> UK -- Monarch also has them with 235 seats, while Air 200, Airtours
> International, and Caledonian (leased from British Airways) all have
> 757s with 233 seats.  The Brits must be real gluttons for punishment!

What,s the choice? If you refuse to fly them, then you dont get to go.
Combine this with horrendous nightflights arriving in the early hours
of the morning and you can see just how brutal it is.

I remember a group of Germans studying the Brits return flights at my hotel.
They were doubled over with laughter at the time of the return flights!
They along with other continentals absolutely refuse to fly at night.

Perhaps the Brits are well disciplined or totally beaten into submission.
--
ability@zetnet.co.uk              _|_                 Joe Curry
>From the shadow of North Berwick Law in East Lothian, "Bonnie Scotland"
Edinburgh Airport is Britain,s fastest growing. Visit us soon at EDI.