Re: B-777 cockpit

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         10 Jun 96 12:22:21
Followups:    1 2 3 4

In article <airliners.1996.843@ohare.Chicago.COM>, ABrowne@mtl.marconi.ca
(Alan Browne) wrote:

> I recently was travelling Asia on business, and on one leg I was booked for
> my first B-777 ride.  I sent my B-card up to the cockpit and asked to be in
> the jumpseat for takeoff...
>
> 2- There was a flight engineer station, immediately behind the co-pilot's
> seat.  The station consisted of a large flat panel display and a trackball.
>  The flight engineer, monitored systems and called up maintenance logs, and
> maintenance bulletins on this display.

The 777 does not have a flight engineer.  It has a two-crew cockpit.  The
display you're referring to is called a "MAT" (Maintenance Access
Terminal) and is used by ground technicians to access the 777's on-board
fault reporting and diagnosis system called BITE, which stands for
Built-In-Test-Equipment.  There is a similar display in the E-bay under
the forward cabin, and portable units (PMATs) can be plugged in at various
points around the plane.  The screen forward of the ppower levers in the
center consol also can be used as a MAT.

Unless the airline you were on ordered something different from the 777s
I've been on here at Boeing, the pull-down menus on the MAT and on the
flight crew's center display are activated by touch pads, not trackballs.
All you do is move your finger around on the pad and the cursor on the
screen follows.  The flight crew's touch pads are beside them just forward
of the power lever quadrant, and incorporate palm rests to make it easier
to use the pad in turbulence.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane