Re: Flying Boats

From:         BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
Date:         10 Jun 96 12:22:21

msb@SEI.CMU.EDU (Mark Bell) writes:

>Back in the late 1980's, there was a group of folks around the
>Oakland CA area that had a Short Soylent flying boat.  Air Classics
>Magazine ran a story on it, complete with some nice pictures.
>
>Unless there is another Sunderland now around the Southern CA
>area, I believe the So. CA flying boat refered to earlier in this
>thread is really the Soylent.

You are correct, sir. I unearthed my copy of 'Survivors' recently
and N9946F at Oakland is indeed a Solent. The fact they have painted
it in RAF colors with a spurious serial number obviously fooled me !

The same reference lists two more Short 'boats still extant, one at
the Musee de l'Air Paris (Sandringham) and one at Auckland NZ (Solent).

regards

Brian