Re: Flying Boats

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         10 Jun 96 12:22:21

In article <airliners.1996.902@ohare.Chicago.COM>, jon46@ix.netcom.com
(Jon H.) wrote:

> The TV series "Skyward" or "Skybound" of the early 90's had some great
> air to air of both Mars flying boats in formation (the only such time)
> over Vancouver Island.

The company that now has the two Martin Mars flying boats on Sproat Lake,
Vancouver Island at one time had all four of them.  One of them was lost
when a windstorm flipped it over in Victoria Harbor.  It was salvaged for
parts.  The other one was lost while fighting a fire.  After taking on a
full load of water, the dump mechanism failed to operate as the crew flew
up a ravine in the mountains.  There was no room to turn around, and the
pilot was counting on the release of the water to let him outclimb the
terrain.  This had worked on previous runs, but when the dump doors
failed, the plane couldn't climb fast enough and flew head-on into the
side of the hill.  This was conveyed to me several years ago by one of the
employees of the company that operates the remaining Mars, so I can't
vouch for its accuracy.

There is a photo of one of the Mars taking off on the Website "On Step"
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~cflyer

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane