Re: UAL 747?

From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)
Date:         10 Jun 96 12:16:56

In article <airliners.1996.886@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:

>Sure.  The damage was not all the severe, so why not?  Many planes
>with far more serious damage have been repaired and returned to
>service.  United did take the rather unusual sstep of re-registering
>it, from N4713U to N4724U.  I've seen it at SFO and if I hadn't known
>the registration, it wouldn't have been any different from any other
>UAL 747-122.

I've flown on it twice in the last 5 years. Once over the Atlantic in the
damage area. I figured it was probably the safest part of that plane. It
is scheduled for retirement by UA this September but as far as I can tell,
that it will be one of the earliest of the the 747-1xx retirements is just
because of when its overhaul (D-Check) is due, not its history.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   http://www.interserve.com/~lstone/