Re: 707 and KC-135 relationship and something about the 747 (was: Subsidies)

From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date:         02 Jun 96 23:01:52

>      The MD-80 was originally the DC-9-80, later Super 80.  As I recall
> three DC-9-80s prototypes were built, and two of them crashed.  The FAA
> certified the type without hesitation.  Go figure.

	Yes, the crashed, but not like you imply.  The #1 aircraft was
doing a certification landing (flapless?) with a FAA pilot at the
controls and he landed hard, resulting in the tail cone breaking off.

	The #2 aircraft was damaged doing a certification landing with no
hydraulics.  The pilot lost control, went off the runway and collapsed
the gear.  Trying to pick up the aircraft with two cranes, to blow the
gear down, one crane tipped over and guillitoned the fuselage, down to
the window line.  Swissair was supposed to take delivery of the aircraft,
but refused it, due to the damages.

	Hardly big time crashes....

Paul:

	DOS, before Microsoft bought it, was Quick and Dirty OS, written
by Tim Patterson at Seattle Computer Products (now defunct).  Tim writes
in to computer magazines every now and then to set them straight about
DOS.