Re: Jet Engines above the wing: why not used?

From:         seguina@columbia.dsu.edu (Armand Seguin)
Date:         02 Jun 96 16:20:13

In article <airliners.1996.831@ohare.Chicago.COM> domk1031@cetus.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE (Burkhard Domke) writes:

>The german VFW614 used the latter concept to demonstrate lift
>coefficients of 4,0 and above. As the VFW614 was designed for service
>from unpaved surfaces by third-world operators, FOD-avoidance was
>another driving factor for the configuration.

I saw the posts regarding engines mounted above the wings and ran across a
current picture in "Cycle World" magazine of just such a plane.  The photo was
from a race in Dakar in Africa.  The two jet engines are clearly mounted above
the wings and close to the fuselage.  The plane has a T-tail.  I'm wondering
if it is the VFW614? or?  I was so curious that I cut out the picture, which
mainly shows spare parts for motorcycles, but does clearly show the twin jet
with engines above the wing.

Armand Seguin
Madison, SD