Re: T-Tailed aircraft

From:         ehahn@mallard.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         02 Jun 96 16:20:13

In article <airliners.1996.823@ohare.Chicago.COM> lchiluku@ucsd.edu (Chilukuri) writes:

> Early aircraft had a taut wire stretching from the vertical tail to the
> cockpit area of the fuselage -- was this an antenna too?

GA aircraft still have this wire.  This is provides the Automatic
Direction Finder (ADF) with a "sense" signal.  To wit:

A modern ADF requires several antennas; a "loop" antenna for direction
finding, and one "sense" antenna to resolve 180 degree phasing
ambiguity.

On GA aircraft (and older, non-transonic transports), the sense
antenna is often a long wire stretched from the tail to the forward
part of the fuselage.

ed

--------   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   --------