Who's in Control

From:         scouba@ix.netcom.com (gary quart)
Date:         01 Jun 96 16:27:14

A question on flight and control.  I work right under the path of the
approach to LAX, ya know where you turn left at Santa Monica, heading
of 070 maintain 2500, etc, etc.

Right over the station where I work you guys get a turn to 160 and then
a turn to 230 to intercept 24 right, and then the your 9 miles from
Roman advisory.

At this stage of the approach are YOU flying or are you setting the
heading bug and having the jet fly itself?  Many evenings I am in the
parking lot watching approaches to LAX, and the simulataneous landing
approaches, people think out loud, OH MY GOD, THEY'RE FLYING INTO EACH
OTHER.

Being a low time pilot (170+ hrs) and avid LARGE JET LOVER, I always
wonder who is doing the flying.

Thanks for any answer.

GQ de LA