Re: DC-9 Flight Control

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         01 Jun 96 16:27:14

In article <airliners.1996.815@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>>I do not believe there has ever been a crash of a 727 due to a failure
>>of the flight controls.  The DC-10, on the other hand, has had three, and
>>the 747, 1.
>
>For the 747, are you referring to the JAL 747SR-46 that crashed near
>Tokyo in 1985 after the rear pressure bulkhead failed?  I thought the
>flight controls were still functional in a limited way, but that too
>little rudder was left for those controls to be of much use.  Did the
>plane suffer a total hydraulic failure?

Yep.  The rear pressure bulkhead gave away after an improper Boeing repair.
The failure mode caused about half the vertical stabilizer to shatter.
But at the same time, they lost all four hydraulic systems as well.  The
captain tried to use asymmetric thrust to keep the right side up, but
eventually a mountain got in the way.

Haynes et al used a similar strategy on UAL 232 near Sioux City, with
somewhat better results.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av