Re: DC-9 Flight Control/ hydraulic systems

From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)
Date:         01 Jun 96 16:27:13

In <airliners.1996.814@ohare.Chicago.COM> rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>In article <airliners.1996.790@ohare.Chicago.COM> Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu> writes:
>>rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick) wrote:

>Sure.  If Douglas bunched three hydraulic systems in a fragmentation
>plane, they could have just as easily done four.

There are some places all four systems have to go, or else it makes no
sense to have four.  That makes for some vulnerable places in any
plane.  The JAL 747 lost all four when the tail blew out.
The L-1011 lost three and the fourth was damaged on two occasions,
where all four systems crossed the aft pressure bulkhead.

>I do not believe there has ever been a crash of a 727 due to a failure
>of the flight controls.  The DC-10, on the other hand, has had three,
>and the 747, 1.  The jury's still out on the 737.

There was the Turkish Airways DC-10 out of Paris, and the UAL at Sioux
City.  What was the third crash?

RD