B-777 cockpit

From:         ABrowne@mtl.marconi.ca (Alan Browne)
Date:         01 Jun 96 16:27:13

I recently was travelling Asia on business, and on one leg I was booked for
my first B-777 ride.  I sent my B-card up to the cockpit and asked to be in
the jumpseat for takeoff...

I found the displays to be very crisp, and the procedures associated with
gate departure to be well integrated with the Flight Management Computer.  I
looked carefully, but I don't think I saw a single electro-mechanical
indicator...everything was lights, LCD or AMLCD flat panel.

Two things that I found to be intriguing:

1- The pedastel mounted display used a "Windows" style GUI with a mouselike
cursor (touch sensitive mouse pad" to select options, tick off checklists,
etc.

2- There was a flight engineer station, immediately behind the co-pilot's
seat.  The station consisted of a large flat panel display and a trackball.
 The flight engineer, monitored systems and called up maintenance logs, and
maintenance bulletins on this display.

Engine start was a cinch: both engines were set to "start" at the same time,
and the EICAS immediately switched to engine parameters display.  The left
engine spooled and started normally, but the right engine did not light off.
 (Hot start??)   I mentioned this to the captain, who did not seem to
notice...he just left everything alone and soon enough (another 15 seconds
or so), the right engine lit off properly.  (The captain/copilot ignored the
whole thing!...let the computer (FADEC?) deal with it...)

As we left the gate, the EFIS showed a "GPS" indicator which confirmed that
the GPS was receiving valid signals for navigation.  I mention this as the
B-777 is the first production airliner to incorporate GPS as part of the
Avionics design...also of course because my company provides the GPS to
Honeywell...who provide it to Boeing.

We eventually made our way to the runway and began the takeoff roll.  Very
smooth and powerful takeoff...made our way to 31000 in a single leap, and
then were soon cleared to FL 350...I made my goodbyes and headed for my
seat.

I have been in the Airbus 320 during takeoff (in fact for whole flights), It
seemed to me that the B-777 was just a little "smoother" in operation than
the -320, but that might be my own impression as opposed to reality.

Alan Browne
Canadian Marconi Co.