Re: What happened to the BA146?

From:         BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
Date:         01 Jun 96 16:27:12

D.P.Rhodes@lboro.ac.uk (Darren Rhodes) writes:

>As to why they chose that engine in the first place. Back in 1978-1983 when
>the program started, there were no modern engines in the class required. The
>Tay did not enter service until 1988 and the JT8D was older technology and on
>the large size (thrust wise). The second major reason was that they got the
>engine cheap. The LF502 was a new engine needing sales to get it established.

The 146 story goes back a lot further than that.
The original De Havilland DH146 was a military transport project, kind
of a 'jet Hercules' in the early 1960s. As the Hawker Siddeley HS146, it
was cancelled along with the TSR2 and others by the UK government in
1965(?).

When BAe decided to build a civil version some ten years later, they left
the design pretty much the way it was (4-engine high-wing etc.) to keep
development costs down. This may explain some of the debatable features
of the configuration which was 'inherited' rather than chosen.

I do not recall what the original engines were to be, but obviously not
the Avcos. Perhaps derated Speys or a Viper development ?

regards
Brian Maddison