Re: So, how safe are oxygen generators in their INTENDED location?

From:         wb8foz@netcom.com (David Lesher)
Date:         01 Jun 96 16:27:10

dpbsmith@world.std.com (Daniel P. B. Smith) writes:

>It's been widely reported that the (proximal!) cause of the ValuJet crash
>is suspected of being a cargo hold fire caused by oxygen generators
>carried as cargo.
[]
>Naturally, this leads me to wonder: if it is dangerous to carry them as
>cargo, just how safe is it to have them "stored" in the overhead
>compartments?

It's pretty straightforward to consider. You have this juice-can
above the seat. It's bolted into a [say] ceramic-lined clamp,
with some free-air space. When 'lit' the O2 goes down to the
masks. Designing such is not rocket science -- look at your
catalytic converter, or your oven at home.

Contrast that to a cardboard box of them touching each other.  Assume
one goes off, getting rather hot. THAT ignites the box at 451F and IT
burns with the help of the O2, igniting OTHER generators and the rest
of the cargo.

O2-fed fires burn very well.

& no one will talk to a host that's close...........(v)301 56 LINUX
is busy, hung or dead........vr vr vr vr.................20915-1433