Re: What happened to the BA146?

From:         FilipPC.DeVos@rug.ac.be (Filip De Vos)
Date:         27 May 96 13:35:39

R.S. Solene (rsolene@sisna.com) wrote:
: Acavitt@mindspring.com (A.C.) writes:

: Why didn't the airplane's designer's realize that this aircraft would
: present 4X as many maintenance problems?  Why didn't the airlines?  Why
: wasn't the aircraft designed for just two higher thrust power plants?
: I remember asking myself these questions when I watched these planes
: enter service with PSA in large numbers and I couldn't help but wonder
: what its advantage was.

One advantage was that, if there was a bad engine on a remote, small
airfield, the  plane could be flown out on three engones, empty.
I don't know if this ever happened, but it was claimed in a Dutch
language magazine.
Another advantage is the STOL characteristics, wich are related to the
engine positioning. A Fokker 100 has a much more complex wing. (Does
anybody know if the Fikker 100 can now get into London City?)
And low noise, of course.

--
Filip De Vos                  Better, Faster, Cheaper means *NO SHUTTLE*
FilipPC.DeVos@rug.ac.be                 -Cathy Mancus-