Re: T-Tailed aircraft

From:         l.a.ram@ix.netcom.com (Louis A. Ramsay )
Date:         27 May 96 13:35:38

In <airliners.1996.784@ohare.Chicago.COM> Doug Snow
<dougie@mama.indstate.edu> writes:

>On 21 May 1996, Tony Maddern wrote:
>
>> The "probe" on the top of the 707 fin is the high frequency radio
>>(HF) antenna.
>
>I always thought that was a pitot tube!

     Back when Alaska Airlines was flying their Convair-880 and
Northwest was flying B-707's, one of the Alaska dispatchers told me the
reason Northwest flew at 37000 or 39000 as opposed to Alaska's 31000 or
33000 was the Boeing products could go higher because of the
"God-handle" sticking forward from the top of the vertical stabilizer.
Without that extra lift from Someone grabbing that handle, Northwest
would be flying at 31000 and 33000 also.  Made sense then.

     Lou.