Re: [Q] what is the energy consumption of several airliners ?

From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)
Date:         27 May 96 13:35:37

felton@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (phil. Felton) wrote:

>This is incorrect, the altitudes that are flown by commercial airlines are
><40000 feet.  The atmosphere up to the tropopause is well mixed and therefore
>the altitude of emission is irrelevant, SSTs on the other hand fly higher and
>NOx emissions there are of more concern.  However, note that the main source
>of NOx in the stratosphere is from agricultural fertilizers!  To illustrate the
>degree of mixedness note that Mauna Loa where the classical set of data on
>CO2 is taken (at an altitude of about 13,000 ft) shows a ~2% annual fluctuation
>due to the seasonal growth and die back of vegetation.

Two problems: 1) As Karl has already stated, many modern jets do go above
40,000. A week ago, I was on a 767 that cruised at 43,000. 2) I believe at
certain times of the year, the tropopasue can be down as low as the
low-30's putting a large percentage of jets cruising above the tropopause.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   Belmont, CA, USA