Re: Mothballed Airliners and other aircraft

From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date:         25 May 96 14:40:22

In the past three months, I have been to Davis-Monthan and
Mojave.

	There is a public tour of D-M, but you have to call waaaay ahead
of time.  I called three weeks ahead and the tour was full for my day.
However, the Pima Air Museum is excellent and I discovered that you can
prowl along the fence at the privately run scrapyards just down the
street.  Plenty of S-2s, sitting on their bellies and cut-up B-52s.

	Mojave is an active airport, so don't count on getting out to
the stored airliners.  From the road, you can see 747s, L-1011s, etc.
If you ignore the signs and drive into the industrial area by Scaled
Composites, there is a Convair 990 and a L-1011 pulled right up to the
fence.  Don't go past the fence without permission!  Not only will you
get caught, it is dangerous, as there are deadly rattlesnakes out there!