Re: An unscientific survey (Airbus vs Boeing) [Long]

From:         schell@condor.psych.ucsb.edu (Terry Schell;x3332)
Date:         22 Jan 96 04:40:37

In <airliners.1996.20@ohare.Chicago.COM> mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei) writes:

>Since Airbus has about 30% of the market (approx), it should be expected that
>the "public opinion" might follow these numbers more or less. Hence, you might
>expect about 70% of airline employees to prefer Boeing.

I can see absolutely no reason that the preference of the public
should mirror the market share.  Market share is determined by which
plane the airlines think will give the biggest profit - the
preferences of pilots and passengers are based on virtually any
criteria *other than* profit potential.

>As well, asking a 747-400 captain for his opinion on the smaller Airbus planes
>is perhaps not 100% fair. Asking a 737 captain to compare a 320 would be more
>fair.

You should go back and read the original post again - It was not a 747
crew that prefered Boeing products.

Terry Schell