Re: What happened to the BA146?

From:         rparpatt@uniserve.com
Date:         25 May 96 14:40:20

In article <airliners.1996.770@ohare.Chicago.COM>, rsolene@sisna.com says...
>Why didn't the airplane's designer's realize that this aircraft would
>present 4X as many maintenance problems?  Why didn't the airlines?  Why
>wasn't the aircraft designed for just two higher thrust power plants?
>I remember asking myself these questions when I watched these planes
>enter service with PSA in large numbers and I couldn't help but wonder
>what its advantage was.

There was problems with the bearings (I believe it was an oiling problem),
but that was resolved.  These are rather simple engines with a low thrust
rating... but yes, 4 engines will be more expensive than two if all things
are equal.  If they went with two engines (considered in initial design
stages) they would have to be alot more powerful for if you had an engine
failure you would loose 50% of  your power, whereas with 4 engines it is only
25% of your power.  Besides, the plane looks great with the 4 engine setup.