Re: An unscientific survey (Airbus vs Boeing) [Long]

From:         nate@croydon.dartmouth.edu (Nathan Keir Edel)
Date:         22 Jan 96 04:40:37

Jennings Heilig (jheilig@gate.net) wrote:
: All I can say is, Boeing has been building airliners since 1956.

Um... even longer.  1956 would be the 707, right? The first U.S. maker
jetliner, yes, but s I recall, Boeing built airliners starting with the 247
a few years before the DC-3 came out (can't remember the year, but it was
solidly pre-war), and followed it with some other flops like the Stratoliner,
the "Clipper" flying boats. Even if they weren't modern Jetliners, they
*did* give Boeing some experience building passenger planes, and were a
gallant, if failed, attempt to counter Douglas's dominance of that market.

--
Nate Edel '98            "They looked deep into my soul and assigned me
Dartmouth College        a number based on the order in which I joined."