Re: DC Voltages

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         25 May 96 14:40:18

>rwbaker@airmail.net wrote:
>>
>> I have a question about the 28VDC used on commercial aircraft.  Are
>> there any special or unusual characteristics about this current?  I
>> have a need to take the 28VDC and convert it to 12VDC in an aircraft,
>> any ideas?

There are numerous commercial DC-to-DC convertors available (we use the Vicor
brand extensively). These things are pretty remarkable in that they will
deliver a rock solid output voltage, even at their max rated current draw,
while the input voltage varies over a factor of 3 or more. They are also
amazingly compact.

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029