Re: What happened to the BA146?

From:         "R.S. Solene" <rsolene@sisna.com>
Date:         23 May 96 10:05:36
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

Acavitt@mindspring.com (A.C.) writes:
> The aircraft is a really nice aircraft.  Quiet, roomy, good all around
> aircraft.  However the maintenance is the biggest problems that it
> has.  Many parts are hard to get, expensive, and with 4 engines you
> have 4X as many problems.  Sense there are few around and flying,
> parts are not in great demand.  Sometimes it takes some time to get
> those parts.  Unlike a 737.

Why didn't the airplane's designer's realize that this aircraft would
present 4X as many maintenance problems?  Why didn't the airlines?  Why
wasn't the aircraft designed for just two higher thrust power plants?
I remember asking myself these questions when I watched these planes
enter service with PSA in large numbers and I couldn't help but wonder
what its advantage was.