Re: What happened to the BA146?

From:         BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
Date:         23 May 96 10:05:34
Followups:    1 2 3

tlong@mail.vcnet.com (Tim Long) writes:

>I seem to remember around 1982 or so, PSA (later merged into USAir)
>started flying the BA146. Lots of bragging about being the quietest
>commercial jet aircraft flying at the time.I know they're still marketed
>as the Avro RJ 100 or some such, but why so few of them? They would only
>be 14 years old or so; you would expect them to still be flying/common.
>What caused them to not become popular? Reliability? Cost of maintaining
> 4 engines?

The two original US purchasers of the BAe 146 were PSA and AirCal.
Both these companies were taken over (US Air and American respectively).
The 146 probably did not fit the overall fleet strategy of either the
big carriers, as it was designed for regional route utilization only.
I also remember that American was not happy with maintenance manhours
(and reportedly cancelled BAe ATP orders as a result). Recently the
descendents of the 146 have made a sort of comeback, and are operated by
Business Express, ASA and Tristar in the US. Both Air Canada Connector
and Canadian Regional use them in Canada.

Certainly the 146/Avro RJ is quite popular/common in Europe, where it is
more suited to their shorter sectors and route profiles.

On an historical note, I see parallels here to both the Viscount and
the BAC-111 which were relatively successful around the world but
never really made it in the US. I leave you to draw your own political
conclusions (if any) :)

regards
Brian Maddison