Re: Can You ID this Aircraft?

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         21 May 96 11:10:55

>I saw this Aircraft at Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, Intl Sunport, it
>was parked away from most aircraft. on 5-14-96 It had 4 Engines mounted on the
>rear Part of the Fuseloge 2 on each side Had a T-Tail looked to be about the
>same size as a 737. Had no Markings that i could see. any ideas?

The four aft-mounted engines mean it's almost surely a VC-10, the
similar-appearing Ilyushin-62, or a Lockheed C-140 JetStar.  The
JetStar would be an obvious guess for an Air Force Base, but it
has a cruciform tail (like a Caravelle) instead of a T-tail, plus
it's much smaller.  (The JetStar was one of the first biz-jets.)

The other two are somewhat bigger than a 737, roughly the size of
a 707.  I would have guessed an Il-62 (probably an Il-62M) since
they do appear at odd places in the US flying Russian dignitaries.
However, about seven years ago I flew into Albuquerque (co-located
with Kirtland AFB) and saw a similar plane.  I asked if it was an
Il-62 and someone told me it was an RAF VC-10, which apparently is
a somewhat frequenct visitor, either on training flights or trans-
porting troops for training exercises.  (I can't remember which.)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com