Re: FT: Virgin interested in Superjumbo

From:         ehahn@wren.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         21 May 96 11:10:52

In article <airliners.1996.717@ohare.Chicago.COM> "P. Wezeman" <pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> writes:

> On 9 May 1996, Karl Swartz wrote:
> > The biggest point of controversy seems to be the cockpit.  Boeing
> > wants to keep the foreward section of the new models the same as the
> > 747-400 to minimize costs.  Some airlines are asking for cockpits more
> > like that of the 777, possibly going as far as having a common type
> > rating.

>    Is there any precedent for a common type rating for aircraft having
> different numbers of engines? Is this true for the Airbus A330-A340 ?
> If a common type rating for the B777 and B747-500 and -600 is allowed, would
> present B777 rating holders be allowed to fly all three aircraft or would
> the combined rating be a new type rating?

Well, it's not exactly what you're asking for, but a friend of mine
used to fly FO on the B757/B767, with a common type rating.  While
most of the cockpit instruments were the same, the engines were
completely different (RB211 vs. CF6), used different parameters for power
settings (N1 vs. EPR(?)), engine start procedures, etc.  He always
said that when he got a B757 line (he was mainly B767), he had to
spend time making sure he had the engine procedure differences down.

I guess what I'm saying is that the number of engines may not be as
big a deal compared to the differences in how the engines are
operated.

ed

--------   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   --------