Re: MD-80 vs. Super-80

From:         James Horan <JHoran@worldnet.att.net>
Date:         20 May 96 10:13:17

Grant C Lynde wrote:

> In article <airliners.1996.671@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
> Scott D. Morris <sdmorris@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >I've always wondered why American Airlines chooses to confuse things by
> >referring to the MD-80 as a "Super-80".
>
> Because DC-9s got a bad rap for a while with the American flying public
> for accidents that weren't the airframe's fault.  So, in an effort to
> spruce up the image and avoid the negative connotations the DC-9 had,
> they "renamed" (not really) it the Super-80.

I also remember that John McDonnell was not thrilled with the aircraft
being called Douglass alone, instead of McDonnell Douglas. I remember a
story that went around MAC/DAC about how McDonnell reversed the
lettering on all the pencils because after it was sharpened the McDonell
name came off and only Douglas Aircraft was left. He order the lettering
to be flipped so that McDonnell stayed on the pencil and Douglas was
sharpened away.