DC-9 Flight Control

From:         dwarren5@ix.netcom.com (billie durso)
Date:         20 May 96 09:54:38
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I am new to this subscription so please bear with me.  I was wondering
about the recent crash of the Valujet DC-9, and arrived at the
following question.  This question applies to all of the elder
transports 727, 737, DC-9, DC-10...

    I am pretty sure that all of these earlier aircraft had mechanical
linkages to all of the primary flight control surfaces.  I also am
pretty sure that these mechanical linkages were hydraulically boosted
to easy in control of the aircraft.  Assuming a total power failure in
the aircraft, are these hydraulic boosters shutdown?  If so the flight
surfaces would become excessively hard to control.  If anyone out there
has any experience with the design of these aircraft please give me an
answer about this.  Could a fire in the main fusebox cause a total
power fialure throughout th e aircraft.?  Let me know.  Thanks

D.Warren