Re: Engine shutdown on an A340

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         20 May 96 09:54:38

In article <airliners.1996.691@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Rick Hughes <rmhughes@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>Francis.Jambon@imag.fr (Francis JAMBON) wrote:
>
>>In article (Dans l'article) <airliners.1996.597@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Andrew
>>Goldfinger <Andy.Goldfinger@jhuapl.edu> wrote (=E9crivait)=A0:
>
>>>              A friend of my reported recently riding in the cockpit of an
>>> A340.  At one point, the pilot flipped a switch and asked my friend if he
>>> had felt anything unusual about how the plane was flying.  My friend did
>>> not notice anything.  The pilot then told him that he had just shut down
>>> the number 3 engine.  He indicated that the autopilot handled the shutdown
>>> to such an extent that there was no physical sensation, just an indication
>>> of a drop in engine RPM.  Are there any A340 experts out there who can
>>> comment on this?

There would be a drop in RPM.  An ECAM message Saying NUMBER 3 ENGINE SHUTDOWN
Power would increase on the other 3 engines.
If the engine had actually failed there would also be a checklist displayed on
the lower ECAM screen stating corrective action or action to be taken.
Ireally doubt he shut down the engine just for show because if he did he
should be fired.

>The lack of aural feedback only occurs when the engine is shutdown
>intentionally as in the above example.  If the engine fails or an
>engine fire warning is present,  visual warning/caution lights are all
>present as are aural warnings and ECAM procedures.  You can't miss
>them ... even at 0500 in the morning after a long dark night.

Actually the Aural warning for an engine fire and other things are inhibited
during the T/O phase of flight.  The reason for this is the pilot has many
other things to worry about the fire can wait.  The pilots first priority is
ALWAYS to FLY THE PLANE first. Fires can be dealt with later.
As for failures at T/O I have been on a 767 that suffered an engine failure at
T/O.  The only indication to the passengers was a momentary yaw to the
right which was immediately compensated for, I can't say if it was the
autopilot or the human pilot but it was handeled very well and the passengers
did not even notice until the pilot announcced it.  He did not even declare an
emergency ( I asked him later.  He said Why declare an emergency we still have
one good engine).

>An interesting aside ... in my experience under most Civil Aviation
>jurisdictions, practice engine shutdowns (as distinct from
>'precautionary shutdowns') with passengers on board are illegal.  What
>is the FAA ruling on this ... can anyone enlighten me (I assume it
>would be the same)??

"practice shutdowns" are not allowed while carrying passengers.

>IMHO I doubt there would be many professional aviators shutting down
>engines for the benefit of passengers visiting the cockpit.

Definately not...

--
Brad GIllies		Bradg@io.org