Re: ValuJet flight 592 (DC-9-32) crash near Miami on Saturday, May 11

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         20 May 96 09:54:37

In article <airliners.1996.688@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>One lawyer is already claiming it had to be pilot error, even if
>the cockpit was filled with smoke.  Please, folks, let's leave the
>wild speculation to the lawyers.

My mind stripped some gears watching CNN a few minutes after the crash was
announced.  They had a "safety expert" on the air within an hour, and the
interviewer was completely out of control, asking INCREDIBLY stupid and
prejudicial questions, such as "What do you think the flight data recorder
will show?"

Local news services (here in Texas!) are similarly milking it for all it's
worth, positioning their roving reporters at airport gates, interviewing
departing passengers, and trying to position the crash as an indictment on
air safety as a whole, and aiming for emotional reaction shots.

My opinion of general media news coverage has reached a new low.  Two days
from now, there will be no coverage, unless the salvage effort produces some
pretty pictures or human drama.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av