Re: T-Tailed aircraft

From:         rrea@caedm.et.byu.edu (Richard N. Rea)
Date:         13 May 96 02:08:46

In article <airliners.1996.652@ohare.Chicago.COM> Jay Selman <avfoto@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>"John O'Brien" <obrien@ironman.mch.sni.de> wrote:

-Snip!

>>Will there ever be another T-Tailed airliner
>>after the current ones become obsolete ? I know its all

-Snip!

>I could be wrong but I believe the T-tail evolved in modern airliners as a
>result of keeping the horizontal stabilizer out of the exhaust path of
>planes built with rear-mounted engines.  Offhand, I'd reckon to say that
>all airliners with engines on the aft fuselage have t-tails, or at least
>some variation of that.

>As for turboprops with t-tails, again, I imagine that the idea is to keep
>the stab out of harm's way from engine exhaust.  On that subject, a
>notable exception is the Shorts 330/360.  Does anyone know if the engine
>exhaust hitting the horizontal stab causes any structural problems??

T-Tails keep the rudder from being blocked by the horizontal stabilizer at
high angles of attack, which would reduce its effectiveness at the onset of a
stall.  There are tradeoffs with a T-Tail such as the extra structural
requirements for the vertical stabilizer, aerodynamics of the intersection of
the horizontal and vertical surfaces, etc.

BTW:  The C-5 and the C-141 both use T-Tails, although this may be due to the
aerodynamics of the rear upswept fuselage.