Re: Canadair Regional Jet

From:         msb@sq.com (Mark Brader)
Date:         09 May 96 12:50:19

Arthur Cordell (acordell@clark.dgim.doc.ca) writes:
> On a slightly different note, what are they like for passengers?
> Comfort, noise, seat pitch, sense of space, etc.

I'm not a *frequent* flyer, but have been on a total of 120 flights
in the past 20 years, so I have some experience.  The last 8 of those
flights were on Air Canada CRJ's, either YYZ/DCA or YYZ/PHL.

As to noise, the word is good.  There are 13 rows of seats in the plane.
I've used row 12, quite close to the engines, and noise was no problem.
Much, much better than trips I've had near the back of a 727 or L-1011.

As to seating comfort, they don't seem out of line to me as compared
to other economy class trips of recent years.  One annoyance is that
the windows are set rather low, detracting from city-viewing during
the climb and approach phases.

The small fuselage diameter is quite noticeable; I suppose it would
bother claustrophic passengers.  A tall man would definitely have to
stoop to walk to his seat, and even I -- at less than 5 ft 8 in tall --
was unable to stand upright in the washroom.  It would be an interesting
experience to connect between one of these planes and a 747.

Similarly, the amount of overhead bin space is relatively small.  In
addition to baggage checking, therefore, a "Skycheck" cart is placed
next to the airplane at boarding, as a second chance to not carry stuff
on board.  This causes a slight delay on arrival, as the Skychecked
items must be unloaded from the hold into a cart before the passengers
are allowed off.

A load of only 50 passengers makes for relatively rapid boarding; the
fact that you walk out to the airplane in the open air and board by
stairs (only about 6 steps up from the ground) has a certain nostalgic
appeal if it isn't raining too hard.  I particularly enjoyed doing it
at Washington National (DCA), where the old Main Terminal is of the
appropriate period and is actually suited for this sort of boarding.
In Toronto (YYZ), on the other hand, Air Canada does its best to cancel
the convenience factor: after the usual long and twisted walks of
Terminal 2, you board a *bus* which carries you, with your hand baggage
in your lap, to some distant part of the apron where you transfer to
the actual airplane.
--
Mark Brader    |  "No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris
msb@sq.com     |   ...  [because] no known motor can run at the requisite