Re: Stretch A340-600 and MD-11

From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         09 May 96 12:50:19

Thomas O'Toole <tjotoole@Empire.Net> wrote:

>>I wonder if Boeing will consider building a "B-market" B777-300 when
>>the B747-400 production line closes?
>
>-400 production won't be closing for many years...notice the -200
> production only closed a few years ago...

It was reported that the -400 line will gradually be phased out if the
-500X is launched.  IMHO, it does not make sense to offer two almost
identical planes with a range difference of less than 1000 nm.  However,
a "B-market" B777-300, if there ever will be one, will be a much more
effective product to compete with the proposed A340-600 than the
B747-400.  After all, the B747 is a fairly old design, and twins should
have a significant cost advantage over four-engine planes.

--
  H Andrew Chuang (chuanga@cris.com)