Re: Transporting the Olympic Flame

From:         hackett@southwind.net (Kim Hackett)
Date:         09 May 96 12:50:15

>        Did they actually transport an open flame on an airliner?  If
>so, how were they able to get away with doing this, when there are
>numerous regulations prohibiting the carrying of hazardous/flammable
>materials aboard aircraft?  Was the Flame and it's fuel somehow enclosed in
>an approved manner such as to render it "safe" ?  Was it hand carried and
>tended to by a passenger, or carried in the baggage hold?  Or perhaps it
>wasn't actually burning during the flight (although that would sort of
>defeat the purpose of the whole thing).

It wasn't too long ago that any passenger could carry his own flame
aboard any airliner....... it was called a cigarette lighter.  This was
considered a safe practice.  Smoking was banned from U.S. commercial flights
not because of unsafe flames from lighters, but from complaints from the
smoke.

Hazardous materials are regularly transported aboard commercial airliners,
such as dry ice and AIDS tainted blood samples.  These types of items
have restrictions placed on them, but they are not prohibited.  I am
sure the small Olympic flame fell under this criteria.