Re: Jet Engines above the wing

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         09 May 96 12:50:14

>As for Mr Peters' comments about noise, this is true, but only for low
>winged aircraft. High-wings would partially shield the noise ...

Good point.  Also, besides cabin noise, there's the very sensitive
issue of noise on the ground, below the flight path.  McDonnell
Douglas has made a lot of noise (sorry, I couldn't resist!) about
how quiet the MD-90 is on the ground.  While the IAE V2500 engines
and some careful work on the nacelle and pylon design are the major
sources of noise reduction, MD also notes that the aft-mounted engines
use the wing as a partial noise shield.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com