Re: T-Tailed aircraft

From:         Jay Selman <avfoto@ix.netcom.com>
Date:         01 May 96 11:19:59
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

"John O'Brien" <obrien@ironman.mch.sni.de> wrote:
>As airliners are all beginning to look alike and
>are hard to distinguish from each other, at least in
>the air at a distance, I was wondering
>why some manufacturers still make T-Tailed aircraft
>and some don't. I know that in the late 70's the first
>designs of the 757 had a T-Tail but that this was later
>replaced by the normal fin and lower tail-plane.

<snip>

>Will there ever be another T-Tailed airliner
>after the current ones become obsolete ? I know its all
>economics now but I liked the days when VC10s, Tridents,
>DC-8s,707s all looked distinctive and had...
>well a bit of character !

I could be wrong but I believe the T-tail evolved in modern airliners as a
result of keeping the horizontal stabilizer out of the exhaust path of
planes built with rear-mounted engines.  Offhand, I'd reckon to say that
all airliners with engines on the aft fuselage have t-tails, or at least
some variation of that.

As for turboprops with t-tails, again, I imagine that the idea is to keep
the stab out of harm's way from engine exhaust.  On that subject, a
notable exception is the Shorts 330/360.  Does anyone know if the engine
exhaust hitting the horizontal stab causes any structural problems??

--
Jay Selman
unclejay@aol.com