Re: T-Tailed aircraft

From:         jliebson@roadrunner.com (John Liebson)
Date:         01 May 96 11:19:59

"John O'Brien" <obrien@ironman.mch.sni.de> wrote:

>As airliners are all beginning to look alike and
>are hard to distinguish from each other, at least in
>the air at a distance, I was wondering
>why some manufacturers still make T-Tailed aircraft
>and some don't. I know that in the late 70's the first
>designs of the 757 had a T-Tail but that this was later
>replaced by the normal fin and lower tail-plane.

According to Peter Bowers, _Boeing Aircraft Since 1916_, the original
design studies for the 757 was to be the 727-300, which, after a great
deal of study, was abandoned and replaced by the 757 concept, which
was, indeed, to have used the T-tail of the 27; as studies continued,
the 57 kept veering further and further from the intended use of many
of the 27's structural and design features. When the 57 studies
reached the point of designing an entirely new wing/engine
combination, the plane began to resemble the 767 more than the 727,
and the T-tail was discarded.