Re: T-Tailed aircraft

From:         Callisto <callisto@strata.net.au>
Date:         01 May 96 11:19:58

"John O'Brien" <obrien@ironman.mch.sni.de> wrote:
>As airliners are all beginning to look alike and
>are hard to distinguish from each other, at least in
>the air at a distance, I was wondering
>why some manufacturers still make T-Tailed aircraft
>and some don't. I know that in the late 70's the first
>designs of the 757 had a T-Tail but that this was later
>replaced by the normal fin and lower tail-plane.

The main reason there are T-Tailed aircraft is because of rear
positioning of the engines. That was the reason aircraft such
as the VC-10, 727, DC-9 originally had them.

>I find it difficult to distinguish at a glance an A330
>from a 767 / 777, a 737-400 from an A320, an A310 from a 757
>or TU-204.  Will there ever be another T-Tailed airliner
>after the current ones become obsolete ? I know its all
>economics now but I liked the days when VC10s, Tridents,
>DC-8s,707s all looked distinctive and had...
>well a bit of character !

<smiles> I don't agree with that :) Even though we don't have such
a huge variety of aircraft in Australian service, it is still very
easy to distinguish between types. Perhaps it is just me, but all I
will mistake is occasionally a exact type - mistaking a 737-100 for
a -200 (rare - I know who owns what usually). But I do wonder how
you get confused between an A310 and a 757 or TU-204 when one is a
widebdy and the others aren't <grin>