Re: Flying Boats

From:         jliebson@roadrunner.com (John Liebson)
Date:         01 May 96 11:19:57

Tom Speer <speer%do.edw@mhs.elan.af.mil> wrote:

>I believe that the Smithsonian Air and Space magazine had an article in
>the last year or two about a MARS flying boat that is doing fire service
>duty in the US.  I think that would qualify as one of the great ones.

Forest Industries Flying Tankers (FIFT) Ltd., Port Alberni, B.C.,
Canada, flies the last two, Hawaii Mars and Philipine Mars, off of
Sproat Lake, near Port Alberni. (Or at least they did: My source is
"Foam Applications for Wildland & Urban Fire Management," vol 5. No 1,
1993; I don't have the article you refer to, as I don't keep my copies
of that magazine.)

One Mars was lost by FIFT in 1960 when it hit treetops during a fire,
and Typhoon Freida, 1962, damaged another beyond repair; article does
not give names of those two boats.