Re: Snow planning

From:         mezei_jf@Eisner.DECUS.ORG (Jean-Francois Mezei)
Date:         22 Jan 96 03:24:16

In article <airliners.1996.41@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "A. Kevin Rodriguez" <AKRodriguez@TASC.COM> writes:
> Are there any dispatchers from Canada out there who could offer some
> expertise on planning for snow storms?  How about anyone who's
> responsible for flights to Buffalo, NY?

Disclaimer; i am not a dispatcher, and my reputation as a total idiot who
doesn't knwo what he hs talking about is well made.

The situation in Canada is quite different from that of the northeast USA.
First, the only two real pivotal hubs (Vancouver and Toronto) rarely get
such big storms, and while the Maritimes do get a lot of snow, their levels of
traffic 1- allows more time between flighst to clear runways - if shutdown,
don't affect the rest of the airlines operations THAT MUCH.

When a major airport is shutdown in Canada, it is rarely for more than a few
hours. What does cause havock are freezing rain storms for which no amount of
snow clearing equipment can help. Furthermore, because of lower traffic levels,
anciliary equipment such as de-icing units are not stretched beyound their
capacities. If you de-ice an aircraft which then has to wait in line to
take-off, and just as it reaches runway, it needs to be de-iced again, it
adds to traffic congestion. When there is little traffic, such problems do not
snowball into a logjam of traffic.

It would be interesting to know exactly what causes an airport to "shutdown" as
opposed to reduce the frequency of takeoff/landings.