Re: Early flap retraction

From:         Patrick Ware <pware@whytel.com>
Date:         01 May 96 11:19:56

Larry Stone wrote:

> In article <airliners.1996.553@ohare.Chicago.COM>, showie@uoguelph.ca
> (Steve Howie) wrote:
>
> >I was on a Cdn. Airlines 737 flight from Halifax, Nova Scotia to St.
> >John's Newfoundland a couple of years ago. When we took off, it was into a
> >strong headwind, and the plane climbed at what seemed like an inordinately
> >steep deck angle. I could have sworn I saw the flaps on the trailing edge
> >of the wing fully retracting about 30 seconds or so into the climb, which
> >seems very early indeed.
>
> The presence of a head wind shouldn't affect the deck angle. It will
> affect your angle of climb over the ground but once airborne, you fly
> strictly relative to the air mass.

The presence of strong winds would indicate to me that an adverse
profile departure might have been being flown by the crew. This
procedure is based on a rotation angle of fifteen degrees with flap
retraction started at Vref+ 20 kts. followed by a rapid accelleration to
250 kts airspeed. If a flaps 1 take-off was used it would appear that no
flap were used at all due to the accelleration of the new 300/500 series
aircraft. Speed is life!

Patrick Ware
Captain B-737 SWA
pware@whytel.com