Re: Jet Engines above the wing

From:         cpeters <cpeters@sparc1.castles.com>
Date:         01 May 96 11:19:53

Chanler Childs wrote:

> I've heard that the airflow over the wing is much more critical than the
> airflow under it, so placing obstructions above the wing can be very bad.
> Chanler Childs
> cchilds@iastate.edu****************
I would disagree. An engine that exhausts over the wing can enhance lift,
will not obstruct much if designed properly, and improve ground clearance.
Many turboprops have engines that are above the mean chord line, with the
bulk of the prop wash flowing over the wing. Most low wing turboprops have
this design as a necessity to provide clearance for the prop.
Hope this helps,

Carl Peters