Re: 707 and KC-135 relationship and something about the 747 (was: Subsidies)

From:         pravelin@us.oracle.com (Paul Raveling)
Date:         27 Apr 96 01:14:33

In article <airliners.1996.587@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Don Stokes <Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz> writes:

|> The 707 *was* intended as an airliner, right from day one, but with an eye
|> to a military tanker as well.

	Right.  This is a good concise statement of Boeing's intent.
	The possibility of use as a tanker was a natural business idea
	since the 707 was conceived while Boeing was building KC-97's
	at Renton and was beginning production of B-52's at Boeing
	Field (Seattle) and at Wichita.

|> The 707 model number was actually picked for the airliner before the
|> Dash-80 (Model 367-80) development was approved.  The 707 number was
|> withdrawn for the prototype in an attempt to put the competition off the
|> scent...

	Actually my understanding is that it was the government they
	wanted to put off the scent.  The theory was that by using "367"
	the government would think it's a derivative of the airframes
	in the StratoCruiser/KC-97/C-97 line, and would be safer to
	fund than a major new design.

	About naming of the prototype 707, it's now become common
	to call it the 367-80.  This is a perversion of history,
	even though it's correct on a technicality.

	    --  Throughout the general public, at least in Seattle,
		this particular airframe was called just "the 707".
		That in fact was the number painted onto it.

	    --  Boeing employees, at least those I knew, were more
		likely to call it "the Dash-80".  If they didn't
		call it that, they called it "the 707".  Sometimes
		it was even called the "707-80".

	    --  On one or two occasions in the 2 or 3 following
		decades my dad mentioned "did you know that technically
		it was identified on paperwork as the 367-80"?

	Now in the last 1-2 decades the aviation-sensitive world has
	picked up on the paperwork ploy for finding funding.  "367-80"
	simply is not the name that was used in reality for this aircraft.

	Soap box:  The name 367-80 should be left as a footnote of
		   aviation trivia;  at least to a lot of us 1950's
	           Seattleites it has no significance. "707" and "Dash-80"
		   meant a major investment in new technology for our
		   country's first jet airliner, "707" was a source of
		   national pride, and the "-80" was the first "707".
		   It was the airliner that we knew could "shrink the
		   world", even before the -80 flew, and the one that
		   Boeing and Seattle bet their butts on to dominate
		   the new way to fly.

		   It makes no sense in interpreting history to call
		   this aircraft anything other than "707" or "-80"
		   unless there's a question about it in Trivial Pursuit.

	BTW, how many people remember the name of the prototype of
	DOS on PC's, before Microsoft bought it?

 Paul Raveling
 pravelin@us.oracle.com

	The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and
	do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.
	--  Oracle policy