Re: 707 and KC-135 relationship and something about the 747 (was: Subsidies)

From:         dorfman@netcom.com (Merlin Dorfman)
Date:         27 Apr 96 01:14:33

Vince Horan (Horan@bandce.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <airliners.1996.555@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Mary Shafer
: <shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov> writes
: >Are you sure it's the Dash 80?  I thought the Dash 80 was what Douglas
: >was certifying in the early '80s,

: The full designation of the Boeing for runner was 367-80, the McDonnell
: airliner is the MD-80 (based on the DC-9).

     The MD-80 was originally the DC-9-80, later Super 80.  As I recall
three DC-9-80s prototypes were built, and two of them crashed.  The FAA
certified the type without hesitation.  Go figure.
                                      Merlin Dorfman
                                      DORFMAN@NETCOM.COM