Re: 707 and KC-135 relationship and something about the 747 (was: Subsidies)

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         27 Apr 96 01:14:32

In article <airliners.1996.587@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Don Stokes
<Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> I understood that the KC-135 also has a bi-lobar cross-section; it's just
> not as pronounced since the upper lobe is smaller than on the 707.  I
> tend to believe this as a circular cross section on would have been very
> much more difficult proposition to modify than one that already had the
> crease beam (at floor level) taking some of the pressure.

This is correct.  The 777 is the first jetliner Boeing has built with a
circular cross-section.  To my knowledge, the only other airliner we've
built with a circular cross-section is the 307 Stratocruiser, which
combined the 299's (B-17's) wings, engines, and tail surfaces with a
pressurized fuselage.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane