Re: 707 and KC-135 relationship and something about the 747 (was: Subsidies)

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         22 Apr 96 01:24:03

In article <airliners.1996.586@ohare.Chicago.COM>, megazone@world.std.com
(MegaZone) wrote:

> shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) shaped the electrons to say:
> >Are you sure it's the Dash 80?  I thought the Dash 80 was what Douglas
>
> Yes, it was the Boeing Model 367-80, and normally just got called the Dash 80.
> the Smithsonian has it now.

The 367-80 designation was an attempt to "hide" the true nature of the
program from the competition.  The 367 is the model number of the
piston-engine Stratocruiser.  It was thought that by naming the jet
prototype program "367-80," the competition would think Boeing was working
on a "dash" derivative of the Stratocruiser, not an all-new jet.  In
common usage, "367-80" simply became "Dash-80."  The plane is currently
flyable, and is on Boeing Field.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane