Engine shutdown on an A340

From:         Andrew Goldfinger <Andy.Goldfinger@jhuapl.edu>
Date:         20 Apr 96 14:02:50

	     A friend of my reported recently riding in the cockpit of an
A340.  At one point, the pilot flipped a switch and asked my friend if he
had felt anything unusual about how the plane was flying.  My friend did
not notice anything.  The pilot then told him that he had just shut down
the number 3 engine.  He indicated that the autopilot handled the shutdown
to such an extent that there was no physical sensation, just an indication
of a drop in engine RPM.  Are there any A340 experts out there who can
comment on this?