Re: Cruise Relief Pilots

From:         Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date:         20 Apr 96 14:02:50

Simon Craig wrote:

> In article <airliners.1996.487@ohare.Chicago.COM>, hjl@thelaws.demon.co.uk
> wrote:
>
> >In article: <airliners.1996.457@ohare.Chicago.COM>  peter neville
> >gurnell <pgurnell@direct.ca> writes:
> >> I understand that Carriers such as Quantas, Cathay and Eva
> >> use cruise relief non endorsed pilots who demonstrate emergency
> >> descent and a few other items but no T/O or landing.
>
> Perhaps you are referring to 2nd officers, who I think at Qantas are not
> senior enough to do take offs and landings, but often fly cruise for
> periods.  I think second officers even relieve the flight engineers on
> older 747s.  It is basically to train them, and secondly to relieve the
> senior crew I think.

I came in late on this thread, but isn't it true that, as far as the FAA
in the U.S. is concerned, only the captain or pilot in command has to be
type-rated? I understand that from a practical standpoint, the carrier is
going to want the entire crew to be type-rated, but I don't believe this
is the actual FAA requirement.

--
Rolfe Tessem		|	Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com		|	96 Morton Street