Re: DC-10-30 (and -10's ??) #2 Thrust reverse useage

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         22 Jan 96 03:24:14

randl@direct.ca wrote:
> Why do some airlines consistently use reverse thrust
>on all three engines, yet in contrast, others only use #1 and #3 reverse?

Speculation: the high-placement of the #2 engine on the DC-10 means that
reversing it tends to lift the nose-wheel?

>This may also be true on L-1011's or B-727's - the reverse thrust on
>the #2 engines are not as noticeable to onlookers as is the DC-10's.

Actually, a reversed #2 on a 727 is easy to spot when you see the plane in
profile- you can see right through the exhaust nozzle when the reverser is
activated. I don't think I've ever happened to spot a 727 landing w/o reversing
#2 (unless no reverse thrust was used at all), and in fact I *have* seen some
727s landing with ONLY #2 reversed. In addition, airlines that power-back their
727's from the gate (American and TWA, for example) do so using only #2 in
reverse thrust. (since the reverse blast from #2 is directed to the sides
rather than upward and downward, it doesn't kick up debris from the ramp).

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029