Re: 747 "Classic" ?

From:         ehahn@bass.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         20 Apr 96 14:02:49

In article <airliners.1996.568@ohare.Chicago.COM> "Niels M. Sampath" <niels@lofgren.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In article <airliners.1996.535@ohare.Chicago.COM> faurecm@halcyon.com "C. Marin Faure" writes:

> > In article <airliners.1996.527@ohare.Chicago.COM>, astracon@aol.com
> > (Astracon) wrote:

> > > In a recent conversation with someone from Virgin Atlantic the gentleman
> > > referred to the airline's 747-200's as 747 Classics.

> > It's not a term I've heard at Boeing.  I suspect it may be a take-off on
> > the Range Rover Classic idea, as Virgin Atlantic is British.  The Range
> > Rover Classic was a name used toward the end of the original Range Rover's
> > production run ...

> Virgin also has a cola soft-drink (same `livery') so it may also be a dig
> at Coke.

I don't think people should read all that much into it.  I've heard
airline management people talk about the { B727 | B737-200 | B747-100
| B747 | DC9 | DC10 } as "classic" airframes, for the simple
reason that the aircraft architecture is electromechanical
instrumentation with relatively little digital avionics.  Note that
most examples of these airframes are approaching an age of 20 years or
more, which is the US rule of thumb for when automobiles can be called
"classic" cars.

This is in contrast to glass aircraft, which are much more easily
adaptable to retrofit of GPS and other new CNS technology, because of
digital avionics architectures.

In fact, some airline people I've talked to (two separate companies)
call the B727 the "Jurassic Jet".  They used it as a term of
endearment.

ed

--------   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   --------